CBD Oil Can Be Used To Treat Acne And Other Skin Problem
CBD Oil For Acne
Acne can be a source of irritation for people of all ages, and new natural ways to fight acne are always welcome.
There is some evidence to suggest that CBD oil can be beneficial for acne and other skin conditions. Some people apply CBD topically to the breakouts themselves, while others take it orally for long-term prevention.
What Causes Acne?
Acne is most common in teenagers, particularly when going through puberty, but it can affect people of all ages. It is a skin condition that causes whiteheads, blackheads and pimples as a result of hair follicles on the face and upper body becoming clogged with oil and dead skin.
The area around the face and upper body have the most oil-producing glands, these oil glands (sebaceous glands) are connected to your hair follicles and can result in acne for four main reasons: –
- Increased sebum (oil) production caused by androgenic (male-like hormones) stimulation of the sebaceous glands, typically around the time of puberty.
- Hyperproliferation and shedding of keratinocytes (cells that make up the epidermis and the epithelium of the hair follicle) in clumps, causing obstruction of the hair follicle/sebaceous gland unit.
- This obstruction leads to comedogenesis – the filling of plugged follicles with oil, keratin and bacteria to form open comedones (blackheads) or closed comedones (whiteheads).
- Proliferation of the bacteria Propionobacterium acnes in the hair follicle.
- Inflammation resulting from the leakage of sebum and keratin into the deeper layers of the skin (dermis).
Common myths are that acne can be caused by eating greasy foods and by poor hygiene.
What Are The Symptoms Of Acne?
Acne severity and the type of acne someone has can cause a variety of different symptoms. For example, teens are more likely to suffer from whiteheads and deeper-set pustules, while adults may experience more redness and blackheads.
- Whiteheads, which are closed, clogged pores
- Blackheads, which are open clogged pores
- Small, red and tender bumps called papules
- Pimples or pustules, papules with pus and infection at the skin’s surface
- Large, solid, and painful lumps that sit beneath the surface of the skin called nodules
- Painful, pus-filled lumps beneath the surface of the skin called cystic lesions
Can CBD Oil Be Used To Treat Acne?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, and it is one of the most common members of a group of cannabis-derived substances known as cannabinoids.
Recently, researchers have increasingly focused on the medicinal potential of CBD and other cannabinoids for a range of health conditions, like insomnia, pain, and yes, even acne.
- Regulates Oil Production: The CBD oil, when either ingested orally or applied topically, helps in regulating oil production by calming down the sebaceous glands and inhibiting overall sebum production.
- Tames Inflammation: CBD oil helps in reducing acne through its inflammatory effects. Acne, as we know it, is an inflammatory disease in which the pore become red, irritated and inflamed.
Some people find relief with the CBD oil when it comes to systemic inflammation, specifically those serious joint disorders and continuous muscle pain. There are cases when people reported to recover completely from their chronic inflammation when using this oil regularly. Cannabinoid or cannabidiol helps to naturally reduce any inflammation which comes along with acne.
- Reduces Stress: The CBD oil also has the ability to reduce anxiety, depression and stress with its anti-stress properties. It also lowers the heart rate and allows any stressed individuals to relax.
There’s one published study that shows the therapeutic benefits of CBD oil on the health of humans, preventing any development of chronic unpredictable stress.
Best Ways to Consume CBD for Acne
The paucity of scientific research on CBD and acne makes it difficult to recommend one consumption method over another for the treatment of the skin condition. There are numerous ways to get CBD oil into your body so it can get to work.
All methods will result in this compound interacting with receptors in your body to give you the end result, but when it comes to acne in particular, topicals are the preferred choice and for good reason.
It seems that directly applying CBD to the sebaceous glands has been the preferred method of researchers.
It is also possible to experience beneficial effects from consuming CBD orally since the cannabinoid’s anti-inflammatory effects have been exhibited post oral consumption as well.
CBD Oil Also Treat Other Skin Problem
Skin, the largest organ in the body, contains within it the ECS molecular signalling system that CBD oil has been proven to interact with directly and/or indirectly. It has the ability to alter signals in the body and the brain resulting in anti-bacterial, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial effects which contribute to a balance of health and have been shown to:
- Reduce Psoriasis
- Reduce Dermatitis
- Relieve Itchy skin
- Reduce dry skin
- Relieve anxiety
Science abstracts on Acne
- The safety and efficacy of 3% Cannabis seeds extract cream for reduction of human cheek skin sebum and erythema content
- CBD as a Treatment for Acne?
- CBD exerts sebostatic and antiinflammatory effects on human sebocytes
- The endocannabinoid system of the skin in health and disease
- Endocannabinoids enhance lipid synthesis and apoptosis of human sebocytes via cannabinoid receptor-2-mediated signalling
- Endocannabinoid signalling and epidermal differentiation
- Differential effectiveness of selected non-psychotropic phytocannabinoids on human sebocyte functions